The Ndebele art of house painting. A brief history and examples of the art can be found here.
February 1st, 2020.
Note: We use a system of 'rolling deadlines' which are updated every 48 hours, to allow us to review batches of submissions together and guarantee a fast turnaround. If this form appears as archived before the deadline it just means that we're currently reviewing a new batch of submissions and will update it shortly.
March 7th, 2020.
The interpretation of the stimulus can be as liberal as you would like. We recommend looking at pieces from previous issues for reference.
Some guidelines for submissions:
In-depth manuscript critique is now also available for submissions. Due to the volume of submissions that we receive, we are not usually able to provide feedback upon acceptance or rejection. With this option, we will provide a 2-page in-depth critique of your submission, explaining the rationale behind our decision.
- Fiction and non-fiction: We are unlikely to accept any pieces above 5000 words, but there is no minimum limit. If you are submitting multiple pieces, send them either in the same document or separately in the same submission. There is no need to submit multiple times.
- Poetry: Submit up to 5 poems, either in the same document or separately. We are open to both classical and experimental works.
- Visual arts: Please ensure that the quality of your images is sufficiently high (anything above 2500px should be fine). If submitting multiple files, please group them in a word .doc for the initial consideration, and we will request high res images upon acceptance. We would also like a short 100-200 word text to accompany the art you provide, giving context to the project and the motivations behind producing it. A good reference for such texts can be found in articles under the 'Visual Arts' tab in our archive.
- Music: If submitting only an audio-file, please note that we are unlikely to accept pieces over 10-12 minutes long. If the audio-file is accompanied by a music video or a text, then these restrictions can be lifted. If you are unsure of whether your piece qualifies, please get in touch before submitting.
- Interviews: If submitting an audio-file or video, please keep it below 25 minutes. If the interview is submitted in text form, the 8000-word limit applies.
For any further queries, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributors retain all rights to their pieces.